ATTEND THE MEETINGS! WE NEED YOU THERE!
ALL MEETINGS FOR RIGHT NOW ARE VIRTUAL. VISIT WWW.FORESTHILLS.EDU TO GET SCHEDULE AND LINK.
Interview with Tony Henson, Eunice Davidson and LeAnn Starks on the Bill Cunningham Show 5/18/2018
Interesting comparison. We did a time-limited survey on 5.13.2018 and even though our survey was posted and distributed by the American Indian Movement without our knowledge, the results reflected a 65% KEEP the Redskins name result.
And then there's the American Indian Movement's poll, posted 5.14.2018 and even though they've taken it offline as of 10 am 5.15.18 - the last results shown was a 61% KEEP the Redskins name result.
Click here to read the full results of our survey taken May 12-13, 2018!
CLICK HERE TO EMAIL ALL BOARD MEMBERS
JOIN EMAIL LIST FOR INSTANT UPDATES
DEAR ANDERSON TAXPAYER
OUR SCHOOL DISTRICT CAN'T AFFORD TO CHANGE OUR NAME!!
JUNE 24, 2020
TO THE FOREST HILLS SCHOOL BOARD
Transparency and communication are NOT your strong points when several of you have degrees in communication. You all DO, seem to be very proficient at wasting monies provided by the Township Tax Payers.
Before any thought of a Name/Logo change should happen, let’s get the financial costs publicly put out to the residents of Anderson Township. The recently passed levee was not approved to pay for branding changes.
Why would such costs be incurred when the upcoming school year has a much greater need for the funds; protecting students, staff and other ancillary personnel (transportation, meal service personnel and facility) from the ongoing Novel Coronavirus (COVID-19).
If the need to change the Anderson name and logo are your main concerns think closely and carefully at the outcome to follow. With all that is going on in this global society and the eradication of history; it is only a matter of time that Turpin HS will also need to be corrected.
The ancient Spartans did not care for children in their society, “any baby judged weak or deformed was left to die” as well as slave owners that would periodically have their newest warriors kill a slave to prove themselves.
Your job on the Board is to defend those in need of the education provided by FHSD.
This issue was closed 2 years ago by the Board. Since it has now been brought back up, it would behoove the Board to NOT make a decision on this matter, but have it put on the ballot, where those that have a monetary interest should decide.
Once a Redskin, Always a Redskin
Jack Forbes, ‘82
Did You Know?
- The Forest Hills School Board is considering eliminating the Anderson High School's 82-year-old "Redskins" name?
- As of 6/24/2020, there are ten (10) other schools in the State of Ohio who are "Redskins" that have not been approached by any organization to request a name change.
- There are three (3) Native American High Schools located in Arizona, Oklahoma and Washington who use "Redskins" as their team name and they have not been approached to change their team name?
- The Washington Post completed a national survey that determined 90% of Native Americans are not offended by the "Redskins" name. (www.washingtonpost.com)
"What I find offensive about Indian names for school logos and mascots is that there are individuals who want to eliminate them; to erase the fact that the Native Americans are a big part of the history of the United States. Why not celebrate our heritage and culture? Will the only memory of the Native Americans be a casino?" - CC, Native American, Shawnee Indian, 4/6/18
What should you ask?
- Why is the team name change being considered a priority when the High School is in the middle of construction that has failed to meet deadlines and budget?
- Why is the name an issue when the primary concern needs to be education and school safety?
- Who initiated the drive to change the name, logo and possibly school colors? Are they tied to the district?
Why Should We Care?
- Re-branding the high school has been estimated to be over a million dollars, which does not include re-surfacing the gym floor, or paint costs to change the colors. In addition, there would be costs to the Boosters and families for new uniforms and sporting equiqment along with re-branding T-shirts and other promotional items. At the State level, this would create a minimum deficit of $10 million dollars if all 10 schools were affected.
- This ia a District-wide cost - ALL taxpayers would feel the burden of the AHS logo change.
- Another Operating Levy may be proposed as early as 2021 after just passing one in 2019.
NON-EXHAUSTIVE LIST OF COSTS TO BE CONSIDERED:
CLICK HERE TO EMAIL ALL BOARD MEMBERS.. Let them know you want to keep the Redskins!
PUBLIC SPEAKING EVENT 4/30/2018